The Elderly and Intermediate Care Service in Bradford strives to provide safe, high-quality care to the older population of the region, and is a leader in the development of safe alternatives to acute care, including the Virtual Ward.
Elderly and Intermediate Care Service
What we do
Elderly care wards
We offer a consultant-led service for people over the age of 77 (or sometimes those over 65 from care facilities, depending on clinical need), who are acutely unwell.
Patients are usually admitted via Accident and Emergency or by their GP. Our wards include:
- Ward 3 – admissions and assessment. Patients are usually admitted to this ward for assessment before being discharged (with support if necessary from the Virtual Ward), or moved to a ward equipped for a longer spell of care.
- Ward 29 – acute care of the elderly. Patients are moved to these wards if they need a longer period of acute consultant-led care.
- Ward 30 – acute admissions Unit for neck of femur and acute elderly care.
- Ward F5 – elderly care.
Intermediate care wards
Our intermediate care wards are for patients of any age (but usually older people) following an acute hospital stay or those who are trying to avoid an acute hospital stay.
They focus on rehabilitation and restoring functional abilities, with medical input from consultants, GPs and multi-disciplinary team-working.
Intermediate care wards are based at:
- Westbourne Green Community Hospital
- Westwood Park Community Hospital
- Ward F5 at St Luke’s Hospital
- Ward F6 at St Luke’s Hospital
Interested in joining our team?
Our talented and compassionate staff care for a diverse population, making Bradford a special place to work. Choosing the right people is key to our success. If you think you’ve got what it takes to join us, please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org to discover more about our latest opportunities.
The virtual ward has been established as an enabling multi-disciplinary team to support older people at home.
It has largely been a step-down model with a ‘discharge to assess’ mentality linked to our older people assessment unit.
Moving forward we are hoping to offer a comprehensive geriatric assessment to all patients, with a view to preventing admissions from primary care.
Bradford Royal Infirmary
Telephone: 01274 364355
Telephone: 01274 366765
Telephone: 01274 366766
St Luke’s Hospital
Telephone: 01274 365603
Telephone: 01274 365632
Telephone: 01274 365615
Eccleshill Community Hospital
Telephone: 01274 323200
Westbourne Green Community Hospital
Telephone: 01274 322093
Westwood Park Community Hospital
Telephone: 01274 425990