Call 01274 364532 or 01274 364531.
What is the Maternity Assessment Centre (MAC)?
MAC is a 4 bedded triage and assessment unit. It is situated on the ground floor of the Women’s and Newborn Unit, near the Antenatal Clinic. You may be referred to MAC by your GP, midwife or another health professional or after a visit to A&E. You can also contact us directly.
When to contact us
Please contact us if you are more than 16 weeks pregnant and have concerns about:
- Tummy pain
- You think you are going into labour
- You think your waters may have broken
- Any other pregnancy related concerns
Also contact us if your baby has been born in the last 28 days and you have concerns about either your or your baby’s health.
Contact 999 if you have a medical emergency including sudden shortness of breath and chest pain.
When are we are open?
We are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, so are always available to offer support and advice.
What happens when you phone us?
You will speak to a midwife. They will ask you questions about:
- The reason you are phoning
- Your current pregnancy
- Your baby’s movements
- Any medical problems you have
- Any medications you may take
At the end of your conversation, we may ask you to attend the unit or arrange for you to be seen in A&E or at your GP practice.
Please note we operate a triage system, similar to A&E. This means women will be triaged by a midwife when they arrive and those who need urgent care will be seen first. You may have to wait during busy times but be assured we will see everyone who attends.
What happens when you attend?
- You will be assessed by a midwife
- Your blood pressure and urine will be checked
- Your baby’s heartbeat will be monitored
- You may need to be seen by a doctor
- You may need extra tests including blood tests or scans
What happens next?
You will be either admitted to the Maternity Unit or discharged. If you are discharged, you will continue your antenatal care with your community midwife. However, you may be asked to return to the hospital for extra tests or appointments.